nano iDSD – Firmware
With some minor revisions, the iFi XMOS firmware version 5.2 ‘Limoncello’ is ready for public download.
This latest firmware v5.2 ‘Limoncello’ is unified (read: works on the following machines):
• nano iDSD
• micro iDSD BL & micro iDSD
• micro iDAC2
• RETRO Stereo 50
iFi XMOS Firmware version 5.2 is NOT suitable for: iDAC, iLINK, AMR DP-777. So please do NOT FLASH these machines with v5.2.
Non-iFi customers should NOT download this firmware for other non-iFI XMOS devices. This firmware is proprietary XMOS firmware and is for iFi-specified products only. You risk damage to your machine if you attempt to flash your non-iFi XMOS dac with this firmware.
For the nano iDSD:
1) Firmware v5.2 ‘Limoncello’
The very latest in-house firmware version 5.2 for ALL iFi products is available. It is very similar to Gelato v5.1 but there some nice, minor improvements:
i. Small code optimisations.
ii. Fixed issues surrounding DoP standard; including ‘clicks’ when changing tracks and sonic differences to native DSD.
and sub-version 5.2A:
2) This enables DSD256(DoP) operation, which requires 768kHz PCM at the USB interface level.
• Nano iDSD and micro iDAC2 CANNOT decode 768kHz at the DAC level, but they can all be programmed to receive 768kHz PCM at the USB interface level hence enable DSD256(DoP).
• With 5.2A, the user MUST make sure to manually alter the PCM audio settings correctly (especially Mac), otherwise there will be no audio output at all.
• In other words, when playing PCM files, the sample rate must NOT set to be higher than 384kHz. Only set the sampling rate to 768kHz when one wants to play DSD256(DoP).
• There is no need to use this firmware if one uses ‘native mode’ (not DoP) to play DSD or DSD files are not played at all.
Do NOT use 5.2A on any other products other than nano iDSD and micro iDAC2.
Note: As with all such firmware upgrade, there is a risk of bricking your iFi product if something went wrong during the upgrade. If your iFi product is bricked, you need to send it back to the dealer/distributor for repair.
Hence we do not recommend the user to upgrade or downgrade the firmware just for fun. Only do the upgrade or downgrade when necessary.
Follow the upgrade instructions here.